My family would probably tell you I’m obsessed with pickles. I. Love. Them. Every year I wait for cucumber season and watch for pickling cucumbers at the farmers’ market so I can enjoy homemade pickles. I like them garlicky with a touch of heat. These refrigerator pickles are great because they are quick and require no canning. We go through pickles pretty quickly in our house, so I do them in 2 pound batches in a crock.
Zesty Refrigerator Dill Pickles
- 3 cups white wine vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 pounds pickling cucumbers, cut into spears
- 4 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 cloves garlic, crushed
- Small bunch fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon cracked peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Boil vinegar, water, and salt in a saucepan to dissolve salt.
- Layer cucumbers, onion, garlic, dill and peppercorns in a large crock.
- Pour hot brine over cucumbers. Add pepper flakes.
- Allow to sit, uncovered, on the counter until pickles are room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for three days before eating.
I also like to do a quick pickle to red onions. It removes some of the bite from onions, and the result is delicious on burgers or salads. Tonight, I’m making a quick pickled onion to put on top of Mediterranean spiced lamb burgers.
Red Onion Quick Pickle
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 thinly sliced red onion
- Combine sugar, salt, and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk until sugar and salt dissolves.
- Arrange red onions in a small bowl.
- Pour brine over onions.
- Sit at room temperature for one hour.
- Cover and refrigerate.