These delicious burgers use grass-fed bison. You can make them gluten-free and dairy free, as well. I especially love the sauce on these burgers – it’s addictive.
Pub-Style Bison Burgers
- 2 pounds organic ground bison (or grass-fed beef)
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 6 gluten-free (or regular) ciabatta rolls, halved and toasted
- 6 strips uncured bacon, cooked crisp and halved
- 1 tablespoon bleu cheese crumbles per burger (omit for dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons burger sauce (recipe follows)
- Fried shallots (recipe follows)
- Fry shallots according to recipe below. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Form bison into patties and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill patties to medium.
- While patties grill, toast buns, cook bacon, and prepare burger sauce.
- Top burgers with two half-slices of bacon, crumbled bleu cheese, and fried shallots. Spread buns with burger sauce.
- 6-8 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Peanut oil
- Heat 2 inches of peanut oil in a large dutch oven to 350 degrees.
- Place shallots in a small bowl and toss with flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add shallots to oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Classic Burger Sauce
(Cook’s Illustrated Recipe)
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins is gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, through a garlic press or finely minced
Whisk together all ingredients.