My entire family loves gyros. Made with a spiced lamb, gyros are warm and delicious food.
I’ve been making my own gyros for years. While they are traditionally served on pita with tzatziki sauce, I’m allergic to milk and can’t have gluten. Plus, lately we’ve been eating a paleo diet. I make a garlic lemon mayonnaise and serve them on a bed of arugula with a quick pickled red onion, chopped cucumber, and heirloom tomato salad. You can also serve the meat as a lettuce wrap with the quick pickles and mayo.
- 1 medium onion, chopped in food processor
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Place onion in food processor and run processor for about 10 seconds to finely chop it.
- Place chopped onion on a tea towel, scraping the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula to ensure you get all the moisture.
- Wrap towel tightly around the onion and squeeze out as much moisture as possible over the sink.
- Return onion to food processor with garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Pulse food processor for 10 one second pulses to chop and mix herbs.
- Add lamb to herbs in food processor. Process until the lamb and herbs are very well combined, forming a paste-like mixture.
- Press lamb mixture into a loaf pan.
- Place pan in a 9×13 baking dish and place in oven. Carefully pour boiling water into 9×13 inch pan until it comes about halfway up on the loaf pan (make a water bath).
- Cook until lamb reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven and set loaf pan on a baking rack to rest, about 15 minutes.
- Unmold gyro meat and slice.
Quick pickled red onion recipe can be found here. Combine quick pickled onions with chopped cucumber and heirloom tomatoes and serve atop gyro. Serve on toasted pita if desired, or for low-carb paleo, atop a bed of baby arugula. Top with 1 cup of mayonnaise mixed with 2 cloves of garlic through a press and the juice of one lemon.