I love soup! It’s delicious, you can load it with veggies, and it’s quick and easy to prepare. We’ve got some big-time meat eaters in our family, so I especially like making soup with meatballs in it to make a really meaty soup. Tonight is the first time I’ve made this soup, but it was really tasty.
Italian Meatball Veggie Soup
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons duck fat (or another paleo-friendly fat)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 cups homemade beef or chicken stock
- 1 can (14 ounces) organic chopped tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the Italian sausage, ground beef, one tablespoon of the garlic, the Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, mixing until well combined. Form into one-inch meatballs. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the duck fat over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown, about five minutes.
- Add the stock, the remaining one teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, tomatoes, fennel, red pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots. Stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to a boil.
- Drop in the meatballs. Return the soup to a boil and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes (depending on size).
- Stir in the baby spinach and basil. Remove the soup from the heat.
photo credit: Buffalo meatball soup via photopin (license)