Yes – I know it’s after Thanksgiving, but some people turn around and make stuffing again at Christmas. Plus, I didn’t want to offer you a stuffing/dressing recipe until I’d tried it out on my own. That way, if it was terrible, we all would have all had disastrous stuffing on Thanksgiving. It wasn’t – it was tasty.
- 8 ounces pancetta, cubed
- 16 ounces bulk sage sausage
- 2 tablespoons paleo-friendly fat (coconut oil, duck fat, etc.)
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 apples, chopped (optional)
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups almond meal
- 6 rosemary sprigs, stems removed and chopped
- 6 sage sprigs, stems removed and chopped
- 6-8 thyme sprigs, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly chopped black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, cook the pancetta and sausage,stirring occasionally, until browned, about five minutes. Remove the pork from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside in a large bowl.
- In the pot with the fat from the pork, add the paleo-friendly fat and cook until it melts.
- Add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about five minutes. Remove from the vegetables from the fat with a slotted spoon and add to the bowl with the pork.
- In the same pot, add the celery and apples. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about five minutes more.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the entire contents of the pot (including the fat) to the bowl with the other vegetables and the pork.
- Add the almond meal, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, and eggs. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture in a large casserole. Bake in the preheated oven for one hour.
- Try replacing the apples with about a pound of chopped mushrooms.
- To quickly chop the herbs, put them all in a food processor and pulse for about 10 one-second pulses, or until well chopped.
photo credit: Stuffing at the ready via photopin (license)